Thursday, October 6, 2011

Overflowing...

We are so full over here at Our life full, we are overflowing-- literally. Courtesy of my darling twosome. This afternoon as I was cooking lunch for me + Luke and BellaB.... I heard an outpouring of laughter. As I stood at the stove, I was thinking how precious and delightful it was to hear them laughing, squealing, and playing together. I grew up in a close relationship with my brother, so I have always wanted that for my children-- I am sure that you know those moments when your little mommy heart swells full of joy in hearing the happiness in your children. Ok, so 1 second later-- you know what comes next. That immediate question of what is so funny for these two?
Imagine my surprise as I rounded the corner to see my dog, soaked, on the outside of the bathroom-- all the while water billowed out from under the closed bathroom door. And there it was-- the laughter, cheer, the delight- squeals and clapping. As I quickly jerked the door open, there they were-- The Wonder Twins. Grinning ear to ear. Catching hand fulls of overflowing water from the sink. Luke said, so happily I might add-- "Look, Mom-- we made a water park". And that folks is when I think my blood pressure reached stroke level. They climbed up on the footstool and closed the sink drain off and turned on the water to its fullest potential. Then stood on the floor and tried to make themselves as wet as possible.
I am trying to choose to see the humor in all of this mayhem, so as I type I am thankful- that God has blessed me with healthy children, that enjoy each other. I am thankful that I am able to clean up their messes and can dry my poor white soaked dog. I am thankful they choose to play with the water from the sink and not the potty. I am thankful that I am learning to be a better mother and was able to teach them a lesson about their mistake and help them to see how this misbehaving was not appropriate, and they learned a biblical lesson. And I know, one day soon when I go to pull out one of their pre-school books and the pages are all shriveled up from this very occasion I will be reminded how quickly these days go by, just like the rushing water.

1 comment: