Friday, November 18, 2011

Five on Friday- Thanksgiving Menu style

It's Friday- and you know how we do-- link up time to my pal Leigh. This week she is featuring Thanksgiving Recipes. What a great idea-- just in time for the big day next week.

We (as a family) always seem to struggle with the whole menu on Thanksgiving day.My grandma used to cook "every one's favorite, or 2 sides" for Thanksgiving-- and if you add that up with lots of folks in the family: it meant many hours in the kitchen, many items left over, and many pennies spent for one meal. I have tons of memories from growing up helping Grandma in the kitchen with all of her secret recipes that she started days before the big day. For the past 8 years or so I have been hosting Thanksgiving for our extended family. I enjoy all of the cooking and family fellowship-- however, the waste is just not in our core family values- so each year, the Mr. and I reel in the menu to narrow it down- it gets easy to get carried away with so many tasty options out there- and try to be diligent to focus on the meaning of the holiday... giving thanks for our blessings, spending time with loved ones, and of course wearing pants that "give" to the dinner table :)

1)Dressing- Delish. We typically only have this on Thanksgiving in our house, and it is definitely a crowd pleaser. It just says Thanksgiving dinner to me.

1 large bowl of dried white bread cubes
Saute 1 Stick of butter with 3 Stalks of Chopped Celery, 2 small Onions chopped, Salt &Pepper
Pour Butter, Celery & Onion mixture over bread cubes
Add 1-2 Tsp of Poultry Seasoning to Bread, Butter, Celery & Onion Mixture
Add 1 Quart Boiling Water and mix together well.
Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes


2)Deep-Fried Cranberry Sauce Fritters- Just for kicks I had to add this.... Let me start by saying I have never made this before. We typically stick to the original cranberry sauce- and it is a staple for all Thanksgiving happenings around this house (and is particularly good the day after on a turkey roll as left overs. Don't knock it until you try it!), so I found it important to include cranberry in this listing of all things Thanksgiving meal worthy. My girl Paula has taken the ol'cranberry up a notch -- going straight from something turkey related to fair food related in the blink of an eye...Deep-Fried Cranberry Sauce. I would never, ever eat this- unless you want to try it! (right, Honey?!)

3) Macaroni & Cheese- This recipe comes from another one of my favorite's Ree. This girl has got it going on and never disappoints with her recipes. I have used many different home maid recipes for the mac&cheese over the course of a decade learning my way around the kitchen- but this one is a favorite.
4) Apple pie- Just because I love all things apple and it says Fall to me. I should have probably picked Pumpkin Roll... because it too is delish- and something we have for Thanksgiving, but apple is where its at for this ol'girl. I made this following our apple picking trip, and trust me it will not disappoint.

5) Chocolate Chess Pie- Because it doesn't feel like Thanksgiving unless this treat hits the table.

So, that about rounds up some things the OurLifeFull (as in full bellies this time!) finds ourselves feasting on Thanksgiving. Of course nothing healthy made it on the top 5 list-- but they definitely make it on the menu. You know, the usual suspects for veggies and of course the bird... but never have I heard my family say, "those green beans were awesome", or "you rocked that corn and butter bean dish"... it just doesn't happen- let's face it, they are the takenforgranted menu members. Ah for shame.
A sweet friend of mine informed me about a great opportunity to serve the community this Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, Our plans don't sync up- but most definitely next year I am going to start that as a new tradition for our family. It looks wonderful and I can't wait to learn more about it. In the meantime, happy planning to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment